Thursday, October 14, 2010

Heart of a bootcamper

I am two weeks into some of the most intense dance training I've ever known. I thought at first that I hadn't quite experienced anything like this before... But my muscles remember being taunted, being put to the test for art. I am bootcamping for Swing Dynamite's TNTeam. What this means, essentially, is that I'm currently training with some of the most advanced lindy hoppers in Ottawa. They are experienced, they are determined, they are fearless and their middle names are "Fun".


My heart says "Kaboom"
The last time I've pushed my body this hard, tested my memory for choreography or defied the laws of physics to achieve new movements, I believe it was when I was competing in jazz, ballet, tap and hip hop (circa 1997-1999). Obviously, I've danced since then, but I haven't quite challenged myself this seriously in a just over ten years - and I've been dancing for 16 already. This should attest to this milestone.


I am now dancing a minimum of twice a week for two, three or four hours at a time. Here I am trying to perfect my technique, to improve my style and to forget that if I loose focus, just one moment, I may injure myself. I also live with the stress of hurting my partner if I don't hold my own. I am tackling one of my greatest intrigues: aerials! I've never been light as a feather and even though aerials conjure awe, they also incite fear in me. Every bone aches, every muscle is tender and every day, I discover new bruises. My doctor asked me if I had gotten in a fight... Quite frankly, I think she should've been more concerned about my persistant cold. I digress.


Why, you might ask, would I want to put myself through all of this? Because I love swing! Because I can. But also because I was born in the 80's and not the 20's or 30's and I have to learn through training and not in a club. I am challenging myself because I learn about aspects of my personality that I've never known existed. As a little girl, I was always attracted to swing and hoped I would one day find a school to teach me. I am bootcamping because I have the heart of a swing dancer. Mine doesn't beat "boom boom" it sings, sings, sings to Benny Goodman.


Most of all, I'm trying so very hard to soak up as much information as I can and improve my dancing as far as this journey takes me. I'm bootcamping because it's an honor to even be considered as part of TNTeam - even temporarilly - and it's a pleasure to learn from all these fabulous dancers.


Stick around folks and drop by to see the bootcamp performance on Oct. 30, 2010 @ 151 Chapel Street in Ottawa. Be there or be square!


Swing Dynamite, 2010
To my fellow bootcampers, from Rhythm Blasters, to D-Boys and Dynamite Girls, and lastly, to TNTeam members who've so graciously welcomed me and encouraged me this far, thank you for sharing your passion. It's a blast!


Tic tic tic Swing DYNAMITE! Tic tic tic KABOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
TOP SPEED CAR